Sergey Skoropad (Associate Judge, Northeast Judging Center)
Cymbidium (serratum x Eastern Venus)
This is probably one of the most challenging entries during our 48 weeks of exercise!
First - this is a cross between two different group of cymbidium (Cym. insigne, lowianum... and Asian Cym. goeringii and serratum).
Second - there are no awards on this cross.
Third - although WCSP treat goeringii and serratum as two separate species, still there’s confusion about two species (like goeringii var. serratum). Also, there are many different forms (shape of the flower) and color forms.
So, I can’t use traditional method to compare candidate to awarded clones or check simple improvements over the parents.
Cym. Eastern Venus received just one AOS award with 2 flowers on one inflorescence which placed this Cymbidium exactly between Cym. Sleeping Beauty (produced 10 or more medium to large flowers per inflorescence) and Cym. goeringii with single flower per inflorescence.
Crossing Eastern Venus to serratum could bring plant size down (create compact plant) and possibly produce single flower per inflorescence, smaller than Eastern Venus.
Surprisingly, current candidate has 2 flowers on one inflorescence; flowers are larger than both parents. Shape is nice, symmetrical. I found lip color is attractive. Flowers displayed nicely within the foliage.
I think creating compact Cymbidium capable produce 2 relatively large and flat flowers per inflorescence is new and promising direction in Cymbidium breeding.
Considering all these factors I think we should recognize this Cymbidium. I would nominate it and score as high HCC. With several flowered inflorescences can score low AM.
Kudos to the grower. Would love to have one in our collection!
Deb Bodei (Associate Judge, Northeast Judging Center)
Cymbidium - Cymbidium (serratum x Eastern Venus).
First impression is the large attractive flowers on a small plant. There is only one registered cross with the serratum species as a parent and it has no photos. It is Sweet Princess and that cross is paired with goeringii which is very similar in culture and habit to serratum. There are very few hybrids at all using this species and Sleeping Beauty and her progeny Eastern Venus happen to be two of them. If we consider that serratum and goeringii are similar in culture and habit, this hybrid has 75% cold growing from its parents. I am interested to know the conditions of this cross and if the other 25% of the parentage has made it more temperate in its culture needs.
I noticed that even though eburneum is a small percentage in the background (not mentioned in the write up) of Eastern Venus, the shape of the petals and sepals are carrying forward the rounded shape with less cupping likely from other parents in the background. In fact, the 25% other species seems to have improved the petals overall. The color and markings of the flower are also very pleasing overall. The symmetry of this flower is very good and the size is good.
Most impressive is that the plant has two blooms. That is rare for serratum as well as the other similar parent species.
I am inclined to nominate this candidate for a JC because I think it has attributes that are desirable and should be recognized, but it doesn’t necessarily fit for a flower or culture award. It is an improvement over one parent but not the other by current standards. It has large flowers on a small plant and more than one bloom. I hope there is more to come in this line of breeding.
Elena Skoropad (Associate Judge, Northeast Judging Center)
Very interesting cross!
Charming flower, flat, good form, nice contrast between green sepals/petals and pink lip, very pleasing combination of colors. I love green and pink flowers. This cross is practically 2/3 of goeringii. The flower size is very impressive NS 8.8 x 9.2 cm
The awarded parent was on a smaller side NS 7.4 x 6.5.
Unfortunately we don’t see many Chinese Cymbidiums on judging tables in our region. I personally do not have experience in judging these types of orchids and I would like to hear opinion of more experienced judges.
My intuition tells me that the candidate plant could be nominated for flower quality award in high HCC based on color, shape and presentation.
Kudos to the grower. It is very difficult to grow this type of Cymbidium and keep it alive. Good job!